January 9, 2017
Welcome to 2017. This year, whether you’re an independent worker or a business engaging independent talent, make it your resolution to stay one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
Want to catch up quickly? Read our 2016 year in review here.
- Direct sourcing is fast becoming the preferred method for top organizations to engage independent talent. MBO Director of Solution Design Dustin Talley explores what, exactly direct sourcing is (and isn’t) and other key definitions for the new world of work.
- Independent workforce expert Steve King reviews the newest book tackling independent work, The Gig Economy by Diane Mulcahy. He calls it “well worth reading,” and “yet another signal that the gig economy is entering the mainstream.”
- A thoughtful piece in Lexology by the legal team at Cozen O’Connor offers a glimpse into what enterprises can expect to happen with misclassification under the Trump administration. TL; DR version: expanded federal regulations are unlikely, but companies should continue to comply with current law.
- Fast Company details ways the gig economy will change in 2017, including an impact on HR, new job descriptions, and new ways of sourcing talent.
- Looking to get into independent work in 2017? They these 15 online tools to help with everything from billing to collaboration, learn the Shark Tank formula for success, and follow these 10 essential steps.
- Here are the pros and cons of gig work, depending on your age.
- A Swiss insurance agency is the latest to rule that Uber drivers are employees, not independent contractors.
- President-elect Trump has promised to repeal Obamacare, and the new Congress is already hard at work legislating what parts will or will not remain in 2017. The Detroit News discuses how ACA repeal could impact the gig economy.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
The Weekly Independent, a quick hit digest of news and notes for independents and their clients.
News and notes for independents and their clients around the web. This is the February 8, 2016 edition.