February 20, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Congratulations to MBO Partners CEO Gene Zaino on being named to the Staffing Industry Analyst's Hall of Fame. He has been on all 5 Staffing 100 lists!
- Labor nominee Andrew Puzder withdrew his nomination Wednesday, after Senate Republicans indicated that he would lack the votes to be confirmed. President Trump nominated R. Alexander Acosta, a Florida law school dean and former assistant attorney general for civil rights, to the position. Mr. Acosta, if confirmed, will be the first Hispanic member of the President's cabinet.
- Before engaging independent contractors, evaluate the risks.
- Are you about to do your taxes? Don't forget about these 5 big tax breaks for self-employed professionals in USA Today, and these 10 from Forbes.
- Self-employed workers, particularly those new to the industry, need to carefully stick to a budget. These 6 tips will help you stay on task.
- Even if you're on a budget, there's always room to give back to causes you care about. Here are 5 ways to give back as an independent contractor.
- Here's how gig economy platforms are helping to create the next generation of entrepreneurs.
- Exotic dancers may or may not be employees. A new ruling giving Michigan strippers $6.5 million is unique in that it suggests dancers should complete an "entertainment assessment form" that lists factors of the IRS "Economic Realities" test to determine if the dancer should be categorized as an IC or employee.
- The United States isn't the only country that needs to adapt its workforce laws and policies to meet the needs of the growing independent workforce. Singapore is adapting too—11.3% of its current resident workforce is independent.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
Four questions to ask yourself to see if you’re ready to bring in an extra set of hands.
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is the June 26, 2017 edition.