April 11, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- MBO Partners has launched its international expansion, a sales and delivery strategy based on a network of qualified Member Firms. Contracting PLUS, Ltd., will be the first member firm for the U.K. and Ireland, Spend Matters and others reported last week.
- A Forbes op-ed calls these the top 5 HR trends for 2016 and beyond. It’s no shock that the gig/freelancer economy makes the top half of the list.
- A company called Painless1099 aims to make tax season less burdensome for independents.
- Quartz says Uber distracts us from a much bigger issue for the US economy – whether we should reshape labor policies to accommodate this new type of on-demand work.
- Are you a road warrior? Remember these 7 simple tips to lighten your baggage - both physical and emotional - while on the go as an independent.
- New Republic highlights what isn’t being talked about enough by presidential candidates – the growing millions of independent contractors without social safety nets.
- Could a minimum wage work in the gig economy? Some companies, like Austin-based delivery service Favor, say yes – with caveats.
- An op-ed in The Guardian covers the “race to the bottom” discussion, calling self-employed “freedom to be abused and underpaid.” This article is biased (and discussing issues in the U.K.), but certainly espouses a viewpoint of a portion of independents – ones we call, in our State of Independence, “reluctant” and “unsatisfied.”
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
Self-employed professionals can use these 7 mobile apps to help with everyday business needs.
News and notes for independent contractors and their clients. This is the January 16, 2017 edition of The Weekly Independent from MBO Partners.