May 15, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Independents make meaningful contributions to the U.S. economy – the independent population contributes more than $1 trillion each year. Our new infographic shows the many ways in which independents contribute to the national and local economy.
- In addition, high-income freelancers are on the rise. There are more than 3.8 million freelancers predicted to make more than $100,000 annually by 2020, shows data from MBO highlighted in a new article from Entrepreneur. Many of these workers serve businesses as IT professionals, consultants, and marketers, but a hot job also earning the big bucks? Travel agent, finds Forbes.
- Where are all these independents going during the day? Many find coffee shops and coworking spaces more productive (and enticing) than sitting at home.
- Congress has passed an extension of the Defense Trade Secrets Law to apply to independent contractors.
- Following on the heels of Uber’s $100 million settlement to independent contractors from earlier this month, rival Lyft has agreed to pay a similar $27 million settlement.
- Uber made headlines this week for pulling out of Austin. Has this impacted Uber – or Austin – more? It is now the largest U.S. city in the country without ridesharing. National Review has gone so far as to now call it a “second rate” city. It’s an interesting commentary on the value of the gig economy. In case you missed the news, Uber and Lyft left Austin over controversy regarding the city’s right to demand background checks on the companies independent worker (driver) population.
- Let’s take a deeper look at several ways the gig economy is leveraging the human cloud.
- New to working with employees or ICs? Don’t break these five laws.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is the August 21, 2017 edition.
Business credit can provide protection, value, and financial security for your small business or independent consultancy. Here’s what you need to know.