July 25, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Not sure when you’ve hit enough critical mass to quit your job? This advice suggests you should embrace the side hustle while launching your new endeavor.
- Gig economy work can happen anywhere – like this new startup that lets you side gig while traveling.
- Miss our webinar on powerful presentations this week? Here’s the SlideShare, which is jammed full of valuable tips. We also share some social media do’s and don’ts over on the blog.
- In news across the pond, almost nine in 10 new UK jobs created in the past three months were for people who were self-employed, raising fresh concerns about the erosion of employees’ rights amid the rise of the so-called gig economy, says The Guardian.
- The new Prime Minister has also been urged to open an investigation into the growing use of self-employed workers by businesses, specifically HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) criteria that allow companies to contract work to self-employed individuals rather than hire them as employees.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
News and notes for the independent workforce and their clients. This is the October 24, 2016 edition.
Learn how to calculate a cost-based bill rate with our new, easy-to-follow video tutorial.