August 1, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Director of Solutions Design Dustin Talley talks about the rise of the Preferred Talent Network, a new way that enterprises can engage independent talent, in the MBO blog.
- According to Tax Research UK, 80% of the UK’s self-employed are living in poverty. We’re not sure that we believe these numbers entirely, particularly considering that many people may freelance or work independently to supplement traditional employment, but still, the statistics are startling.
- Satisfaction with traditional jobs is at a 10 year high. That’s great news. What’s even better? Satisfaction with independence is still significantly higher, 49% to 79%.
- Want to live anywhere you wish? These 7 independent jobs aren’t location-dependent.
- Virginia senator Mark Warner is worried about the country’s IC population, and called for a solution this week while speaking to the DNC. He, like Hilary Clinton, champions portable benefits as a solution. MBO Partners breaks down the nuances of the portable benefit solution as well as offers another alternative, Certified Self-Employed, in our recent proposal.
- A new op-ed in the Huffington Post calls on candidates to fix the issues at hand causing misclassification.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
Hiring your first employee is a big step as an independent contractor. Here are four tips for finding the right person for the job.
When your independent business is slow, follow these 6 tips for a quick recovery.