September 12, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- The Legal Insurrection has covered our recent chat with Forbes' Elaine Pofeldt about portable benefits. We're sure that we'll see more about this hot button issue as we get closer to election day.
- Fall travel season is fast approaching ... master the art of stress-free business travel with these 8 simple tips.
- While you're on the plane, stay up to date on your reading with these great new business books.
- A recent poll from Deloitte finds that freelancers and gig economy workers suffer from loneliness at higher rates than their traditionally-employed counterparts. The data is interesting, and points out a valuable fact regarding independent life: if you cannot work independently, being a self-employed professional might not be for you. However, there are many solutions to this issue, such as co-working, professional meet-up groups, and more.
- Looking for a side hustle? FlexJobs.com, a site for part-time and flexible work, recently identified 10 jobs that pay at least $50 an hour, and surprisingly, not all are in tech. Fun fact: "jazz music instructor" is on the list.
- The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld an arbitration clause in Uber’s contract with drivers requiring them to arbitrate their claims individually rather than pursue a class action in court. This decision is widely regarded as a way to de-sensationalize the case. No word yet on whether the result will be more or less expensive for Uber.
- Showing loyalty to a client as an independent may make the difference needed to help you land the next job. Stay loyal in one of two ways - by maintaining loyalty to individuals, such as managers, within an organization, as well as staying loyal to a project, even if things aren't always easy.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
A monthly summary of independent contractor misclassification and compliance news. This is the May, 2018 edition.
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is the October 30, 2017 edition.