October 10, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- SpendMatters covered MBO’s presence at last week’s HR Tech show. If you missed the event and want to schedule a demo of our all-new MBO Connect 2.0, please get in touch.
- If you’re an on-the-go professional, don’t miss this week’s blog post on how to maximize your time spent on a mobile device.
- Small Business Labs breaks down the 7 archetypes of the on-demand economy in an interesting new blog post that discusses a new survey out from the Institute for the Future. He compares these archetypes to the similar “five faces of the on-demand economy” in last year’s Intuit study. Despite the surveys’ dramatically different methodologies, the findings were relatively similar – which points to the fact that the independent workforce is rapidly changing, but profiles of the types of workers within are becoming more and more solidified.
- The platform economy is becoming a backup career, Fortune writes, also citing data from the Institute for the Future study.
- Tax season will be here sooner than you think. Start using these five big deductions for self-employed workers this year.
- The Independent, a UK outlet, discusses how the workforce is moving towards self-employment – but raises concerns about society’s inability to adapt to this new normal.
- Theresa May is to launch a review of workers' rights in a move set to pave the way for the self-employed and temporary employees to be protected by new laws, The Telegraph writes.
- Want to know what entrepreneurs want from self-employment? The Guardian spells it out.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
Learn how to calculate a cost-based bill rate with our new, easy-to-follow video tutorial.
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is the October 17, 2016 edition.