November 2, 2015
How do you feel about robot secretaries? What about antiquated labor laws, or the four types of mentors you need to succeed? We’re rounded up this, and more in this week’s #IndependentLife link listing:
We know you’re short on time, so here you go:
- Misclassification continues to be a serious and costly hassle for employers. Amazon Prime Now is the latest to be hit with a suit, as drivers sue in a class-action case that alleges that they should be employees, not contractors.
- A third of workers in the U.S. now consider themselves “free agents,” contractors, or freelancers, a new report from Kelly Services finds. Many of the findings are similar to our own State of Independence research, which shows that contractors are happier, wealthier and more satisfied than their traditionally-employed counterparts.
- Be savvy when selecting your mentor(s). You need four distinct types of people to help succeed in your entrepreneurial goals.
- It’s no secret that the “Uber for x” landscape of startups relies heavily on a contract model. But labor laws haven’t caught up. We may need a complete legal overhaul, this article from Inc. finds.
- Work-life balance is key. Use these 15 apps to make your life easier. Oh, and a robot secretary isn’t that far-fetched anymore, either.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you next week!
News of note for the independent community and the employers that contract with them, for the week of September 28th, 2015.
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is The Weekly Independent, January 30, 2017 edition.