November 23, 2015
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
It’s a holiday week, so before you head home to enjoy a Turkey dinner, make sure to learn more about what people are calling the “social safety net,” tips for independent contractor compliance in the latest MBO blog update, and how Millennials are transforming the workplace, among other things.
- When thinking about how to manage your independent workforce, creativity should be limited – particularly when it comes to compliance. We discuss the three ways to make sure you’re engaging independent contractors in a compliant manner.
- Did you miss our last webinar on how to best find, recruit and maintain top independent talent? Terri Gallagher will share more insights in an upcoming blog post, but until then, here’s the Talent War webinar recording to keep you going.
- Is the Gig Economy good for workers? The jury’s still out.
- Let me circle back with you – I think we can find some time to synergize about this low hanging fruit next week. Don’t be a buzzword slave. These 25 phrases should be out of your vocabulary for good.
- The conversation around portable benefits – called a “social safety net” in this Washington Post piece – continues to heat up.
- There are many freelancer work platforms available – but not all serve the needs of the freelancer (or the client). This review from DCR Workforce highlights the various pros and cons of 12 leading services, including LinkedIn’s new ProFinder.
- It’s no secret that Millennials are changing the workplace. It’s not all flexible schedules and free organic snacks, but core shifts in communications, technology, and structure that will impact both the traditional employer and client in years to come.
- MBO hopes that each and every one of its independent Associate population will remain satisfied for years to come, but we know that being self-employed isn’t for everyone. If you are considering returning to full-time employment in the future, these tips are good to consider.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well.
Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again on Monday, November 30th! Happy Thanksgiving!
As an independent consultant it's important to know what exactly soft skills are, why they matter, and how you can improve yours.
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is the September 19, 2016 edition.