July 11, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- CEO Gene Zaino takes to the MBO Partners blog to share his thoughts on the Brexit decision.
- In the UK, many are calling for tax reforms and a look at existing laws that govern contractor-client relationships as a result of Brexit, Contractor UK reports.
- A new study from Contently talks about the “state of freelancing” in 2016. It mostly focuses on writers, editors and marketers, but points to some interesting data that is in line with our own State of Independence, notably that freelancers and independents are, by and large, happy with their work and that the risks and burdens associated with freelancing are less prevalent than assumed by the media.
- Spend Matters discusses the gig economy and the worker classification conundrum, as well as three steps to solving the issue.
- Independents need to keep their skills sharp. Here are 6 ways to do so.
- We’re continually impressed by the #SideHustle of many people as they get their independent businesses off the ground. The story of Helaine Knapp, founder of CityRow, is particularly impressive.
- A federal judge did not approve Uber’s proposed class action settlement, questioning whether the deal would adequately compensate the drivers, who would still remain independent contractors.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is the February 4, 2019 edition.
News and notes for independent professionals and their clients. This is the May 21, 2018 edition.