May 9, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- MBO Partners released its first policy-driven position paper this week, “Certified Self-Employed: A New Vision for America’s Independent Workforce.” The paper discusses how the growth and innovation of the American workplace has outpaced the evolution of laws and rules, creating issues ranging from independent contractor compliance to guaranteed worker protections. MBO Partners has proposed a modern solution to address these issues and to remove the risks associated with hiring independent talent. In addition to the paper, see feedback from publications including Spend Matters, Forbes, Politico and SIA.
- Vice President of Solutions Delivery John Dahlberg introduces a new series for the MBO blog on the 3 dimensions of the human capital market.
- There remains continued fallout from Uber’s $100 million settlement, including a discussion of contractor rights and deeper dives into the ‘why’ of the case.
- In more Uber news, drivers in New York have formed a labor association and Uber has added political heavyweights to its board.
- SmartBusiness dives into why you need to take caution when using independent contractors. It’s a basic piece, but a good refresher for those experienced in the business and a good 101 for those thinking of working with contractors for the first time.
- Working as a solopreneur can be lonely. Here’s why co-ops and shared workspaces offer a solution.
- Did your tax bill sting? Here’s how the self-employed can act defensively in 2016 to minimize tax burden and maximize your efficacy at tax time. At the same time, don’t forget to think about your retirement strategy.
- Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
Here is your 2016 holiday gift guide for independent professionals. A list of 10 home office gifts perfect for your wishlist.
Here is your 2016 holiday gift guide for clients. A list of 10 thoughtful options your client will truly appreciate.