September 26, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Did you listen to our recent webinar on the tools and skills needed to land your next client? Change management consultant Deepak Lalwani offered some excellent actionable tips and strategies. View the recording here, and register for upcoming webinars in October and January as well.
- Soft skills – like networking, teamwork, and presentation – matter greatly to independent workers. Here’s how to improve them.
- Nearly 14,000 Uber and Lyft drivers in New York have signed union cards. The cards signed by drivers indicate that they seek ATU (Amalgamated Transit Union) membership and authorize the union to act as their collective bargaining agent. Uber maintains its drivers are independent contractors, not employees, and therefore do not have the right to unionize, although recent legislation in Seattle affirmed their right to do so.
- This article takes a look at what you need to consider before hiring an intern to work for your solo business. While we agree with many of the writers tips, we’d caution anyone looking for interns to be diligent in their vetting process. Hiring a junior staffer- particularly one still in college- can be rewarding, but often will require more management and day-to-day “handholding” than anticipated.
- We love this new flow-chart style infographic on whether or not you should work for yourself.
- The way you choose to structure your freelance business is up to you. Different scenarios work for different people. Explore these common business structures before making the leap.
- Want to start out on your own? This Forbes article offers 8 simple steps to doing so.
- The Department of Labor says that “collaboration” is the key to fight misclassification, a new Q&A on Bloomberg BNA says.
- MBO also keeps an eye out on news of interest to our international clients and Member Firms. Much of the coverage in the past week around the UK’s upcoming finance bill, IR35, has been negative, and we’ve rounded up a few of the most recent press hits.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
Independent contractor agreements provide legal protection, establish roles and responsibilities, and outline services to be performed. Here’s what to include in your next contract.
10 content marketing tools and tips to create brand awareness, engage your target audience, and achieve business goals.