March 7, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Money Magazine takes an in-depth look at what it takes to start one’s own business in a five-part series. MBO CEO Gene Zaino shares some valuable words of wisdom within.
- Personal branding is of key importance for independent contractors, who are often competing with many others to land key gigs and clients. In this week’s blog post, we explain how to build a professional website, quickly and easily.
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce sued Seattle in federal court Thursday over the city’s new ordinance giving Uber and taxi drivers the ability to unionize. It cites federal labor and antitrust laws and says the ordinance will slow innovations in the “on-demand economy,” increase prices and lead to worse service for customers.
- The Department of Labor has made misclassification a serious issue this year, and home care workers are under the microscope, National Law Review finds.
- In related news, in a move that distances it from the on-demand economy of Uber, Lyft and the like, HomeHero has pledged to convert 100 percent of its independent contractors to W-2 employees. With more than 1,200 caregivers on its payroll, the change will make the online marketplace for senior in-home care one of the largest employers of home-care workers in California.
- The New York City Council is soon set to review a bill that would require ICs and their clients to have written agreements specifying compensation, services and more.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!
Coffee shop, coworking space, library, private office—there’s plenty of alternatives to working from home as a self-employed professional. Here’s how to decide which work environment is best for you.
More and more retirees are considering a post-retirement career in independent consulting. Here are three considerations to keep in mind when planning for your future.