The Weekly Independent: January 18, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- A new survey from Crowded.com shows that most independent workers want 1099 status, not W-2 classification. This interesting analysis from Spend Matters takes into account an important question for the gig economy: have we asked workers what they want?
- Portable benefits continue to dominate the news – President Obama even addressed the issue during last week’s State of the Union.
- Keep an eye on these four major workforce trends for 2016.
- Managing “agile talent” (aka your independent workforce) requires a delicate touch. This piece from Harvard Business Review offers six simple steps to better contract workforce management.
- Are you operating in the right corporate structure for your independent business? Our new infographic shows the pros and cons of everything from LLC to C-Corporation status.
- The dream of lifetime employment may no longer be relevant, but the dream for lifetime relationships is still a very valuable concept. PayPal executives discuss the value of long-term relationships and networking in this Quartz piece.
- You need these four things to manage your business. And here’s a hint – more than 50% of what you need deals with finances.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.