Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Last week, we announced a new addition to our team: flexible staffing program and strategy expert, Bryan Peña. Bryan will join MBO as senior vice president and chief of market strategy. Our press release and Spend Matters cover the announcement.
- A summary of 10 Gallup reports includes top gig economy findings from 2018, such as the fact that a significant portion of American workers have a nontraditional relationship with their employer.
- The differences between 1099 and W-2 tax forms, and considerations to take into account when making hiring decisions.
- The Employment Appeal Tribunal in the UK upheld their previous decision that three Addison Lee private hire drivers are workers, not self-employed contractors, entitling them to minimum wage and holiday pay, Lexology reports.
- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that independent contractor truck drivers are exempt from bringing wage and hour disputes to arbitration, despite the mandatory arbitration provision included in their work agreement. The ruling may have a substantial impact on business owners in the transportation industry, says JD Supra.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!