The Weekly Independent: January 29, 2018
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- National Public Radio explores the rise of the contract workforce.
- A quick explanation of the difference between gross income and net income.
- How the new tax law could incentivize employees to become independent contractors.
- The pros and cons of 1099 versus W-2 workers.
- New healthcare opportunities are on the horizon for small employers and the self-employed, Lexology reports.
- 12 top consulting blogs—one of which is MBO!
- Forbes reports on why the gig economy can be essential to business growth.
- A new report by the World Economic Forum found that 1.4 million U.S. jobs will be disrupted by technology, making reskilling vital.
- Fast Company explores a new way to pay freelancers—with equity shares.
- Lexology looks at what it means to establish and maintain loyalty in the gig economy.
- Three ways technology will change the gig economy in 2018, according to Forbes.
- Uber’s CEO is calling for a new portable benefits system that would give gig economy workers access to healthcare and retirement planning accounts, The Hill reports.