The Weekly Independent: March 13, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Self-employment begins with having the right mindset. Nathan Gibson, MBO’s new Senior Director of Risk Management, explains what this means.
- Make the most of your mileage deductions in 2017.
- These simple tips make it easier for enterprises to manage a team of independent contractors.
- These freelance tech resources can prove invaluable when starting a freelance career.
- FedEx has again succeeded in successfully appealing an NLRB ruling on misclassification. Last Friday—March 3, 2017—the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit issued a decision in favor of FedEx, denying enforcement of a decision by the National Labor Relations Board, which had held that single-route Ground Division drivers for FedEx were employees and not independent contractors.
- Follow these tips to schedule meetings effectively when you’re self-employed.
- A new California court decision in favor of Uber says that a driver in question was, in fact, a contractor and not an employee. This case will likely be appealed, but still lands as a “win” for gig economy businesses.
- Four truths about freelance that nobody wants to tell you.
- Here is what the UK’s spring budget could mean for IR35 and contractors.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.