The Weekly Independent: March 21, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Welcome, John Dahlberg! John joins the MBO Partners team as Vice President, Solutions Design.
- Just how do you define the independent workforce? We take a stab at putting together the industry’s first ever dictionary of terms.
- Are candidates talking enough about independent workers and small businesses? Many argue that this needs to be a ‘front and center’ discussion item for the 2016 election.
- Gig workers such as Uber and Lyft drivers would gain the right to collectively bargain for benefits and wages under legislation introduced in California last week.
- Biz Journals tells us how this bill would impact your business.
- But Wired assures us that the on-demand economy isn’t about to implode, so stop worrying.
- Some enterprising Uber drivers are moonlighting as salesmen – what do you think about this interesting new practice?
- A new report shows that skilled professionals will dominate the gig economy in coming months and years.
- SpendMatters takes a look at the landscape of work intermediation platforms, including MBO’s marketplace.
- McKinsey examines how to manage talent in a digital age, specifically discussing online labor platforms.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.