Being a successful independent contractor or a Client of Choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
• Spend Matters explores the benefits of direct sourcing as a total talent management strategy.
• Uber and Lyft launched a public campaign to pressure California lawmakers from exempting them from pending legislation that would require them to classify their drivers as employees, the Los Angeles Times reports.
• Three best practices to follow when engaging independent professionals.
• April and May independent contractor misclassification and compliance news from JD Supra.
• The California House of Representatives passed a bill seeking to codify the independent worker test established by the 2018 Dynamex ruling, says HR Dive.
• What is worker misclassification?
• National Law Review explores whether entrepreneurial opportunity and control are two sides of the same coin.
• How to take a vacation when you’re self-employed, from NBC News.
• The New Jersey District Court ruled that insurance agents were properly classified as independent contractors, JD Supra reports.
• Forbes discusses how a freelance advisory group can help businesses perform and grow.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!