Being a successful independent contractor or a Client of Choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
• The “alternative workforce”—people who take on part-time or contingent jobs—is now a part of everyday life, says HR industry thought leader Josh Bersin.
• Forbes explores why people are choosing to stick with independent work even though the jobs market is booming.
• Independent contractor misclassification and compliance news from June.
• JD Supra looks at Tennessee’s decision to use the 20-factor IRS test to differentiate independent contractors from employees.
• Eight ways to simplify how you engage independent contractors.
• A new study finds that tip lines are essential in preventing worker misclassification, Business Insurance reports.
• A Virginia shipping company agreed to pay $597,000 in back wages to misclassified workers, says Staffing Industry Analysts.
• Forbes gives ideas for how to stop companies from misclassifying employees as independent contractors.
• Quartz looks at how digital ID could fix the gig economy’s identity problem.
• How to overcome common challenges you may face as a self-employed professional.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!