The Weekly Independent: July 10, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Fast Company looks at the current state of the American workplace.
- Why employee misclassification is a big deal, according to David Weil, former Administrator of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division under President Obama.
- Five tips to overcome common concerns when engaging an independent contractor for the first time.
- The Senate health care bill may have big consequences for small businesses and the self-employed.
- Professional certifications to increase credibility, boost confidence, and help differentiate your services.
- Should the self-employed be entitled to the national minimum wage? A UK think tank says yes, BBC News reports.
- A look at opportunities for women in the gig economy.
- As the on-demand workforce continues to grow, so do challenges, Forbes says.
- The Boston Globe looks into the etymology of “gig economy.”
- The unpredictability of on-demand work is tough for workers and consumers, Entrepreneur reports.
- Vermont’s Supreme Court tackles the difficult topic of independent contractor classification.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.