The Weekly Independent: July 30, 2018
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- The U.S. government doesn’t know how big the gig economy is, Recode reports.
- Four major independent workforce themes at 2018 conferences.
- Supply Chain 247 looks at the role of the gig economy in the new future of work.
- What you need to know before making the leap to freelancing, according to Forbes.
- Bloomberg Businessweek explores the history and current state of the gig economy.
- Top self-employed tax deductions.
- The Labor Department may be supportive of gig companies in misclassification situations, says Lexology.
- A new report from the UK finds that self-employed workers are owed tens of thousands of pounds for work they have completed, reports the Huffington Post.
- Harvard Business Review looks at how U.S. law needs to change to support the self-employed and the gig economy.
- Bloomberg explores the contract workers of Google.
- More people are likely working multiple jobs than the government reports, Forbes says.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.