The Weekly Independent: October 2, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- MBO Partners’ CEO, Gene Zaino, discusses the importance of a safe harbor designation for independent professionals in a Staffing Industry Analysts article.
- Furniture retailer Ikea has acquired TaskRabbit, an online and mobile marketplace that connects consumers with freelance labor.
- This infographic compares independent contractor classification tests and guidelines from the IRS, DOL, and individual states.
- Business.com takes a look at the transformation of the gig economy.
- A move to platform sourcing solutions, such as MBO’s marketplace, will soon make freelance life easier, Forbes reports.
- A guide to commonly confused independent workforce industry terms.
- Bay area freelance tech workers are now making more than full-time employees, the San Francisco Business Times says.
- Worker misclassification complaints in North Carolina have increased more than 644% over the past year.
- Workforce takes a look at the trend of robots and their role in staffing.
- The European Commission is looking to increase social protections and rights for gig economy workers, the New York Times reports.
- Uber is fighting back in London after their license to operate in the city was declined last week.
- Forbes explores how Generation Z will shape freelancing and the future of work.
- The ACA Times looks at how the GrubHub trial could set precedent for future employee misclassification lawsuits.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.