Being a successful independent contractor or a Client of Choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
• Five risks of hiring independent contractors and how to overcome them.
• California’s Appellate Court concluded that the Dynamex decision regarding classification of independent contractors applies retroactively to pending litigation, JD Supra reports.
• Lexology explores how Massachusetts was an early adopter of an employee-friendly worker misclassification test in addition to California.
• How to determine whether a worker should be classified as an employee or independent contractor.
• The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) resoundingly mixes the argument that worker misclassification alone violates the law, says Bloomberg Law.
• Forbes looks at why every employee should think more like a freelancer.
• Six reasons why independent consulting might be the right career choice.
• New Jersey is continuing to aggressively pursue measures to stop the misclassification of independent contractors, according to JD Supra.
• A San Francisco Chronicle opinion piece asks whether California’s new worker classification bill will be harmful to the gig economy.
• Forbes asks whether vacation or workaction is better for freelancers.
• The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development is investigating Uber and Lyft for possible misclassification of workers, reports WorkCompCentral.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!