The Weekly Independent: November 16, 2015
This week, learn more about portable benefits plans (a topic we also discussed last week), a new on-demand co-working hotel and the next big thing in the gig economy, plus more.
- Independents should be preparing for their January 15th Schedule C filing. Here are four ways to make filling out IRS Form 1040 easier, via our latest blog post.
- A new hotel in Vienna, Austria lets travelers not only book a specific room (and request certain personal upgrades upon arrival) but also to rent dedicated coworking space in the lobby, and participate in a virtual “marketplace” that lets them network with others currently staying at the hotel. Is this the future of hospitality – and of business travel?
- The next “big” thing in the Gig Economy? Worker’s rights. The Weekly standard discusses memos released this week from a Silicon Valley nonprofit and the R Street Institute.
- Portable benefits continue to be a topic of conversation for the on-demand workforce, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- Meaningful work trumps money, a new study finds. This isn’t new news to us at MBO; in our 2015 State of Independence, 48% of Full-Time Independents work for themselves to do what they love, while 61% work to control their own schedule, compared to just 38% say they work independently to earn more money.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.