The Weekly Independent: November 19, 2018
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Independent professionals: who they are and what you should know about them.
- Forbes explores the future role of online marketplaces given the rise of enterprises effectively creating their own internal talent networks.
- Tips for developing and maintaining resilience skills in your daily life.
- October independent contractor misclassification and compliance news from JD Supra.
- The role of higher education in the gig economy.
- California’s strict ABC independent contractor classification test applies only to worker claims based on wage orders, and not claims based on other employment laws, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.
- JD Supra summarizes three key takeaways from Grubhub’s opening appeals brief regarding worker misclassification.
- Drivers for London-based taxi company Addison Lee are employees, not independent contractors, according to the latest verdict from the employment appeals tribunal. The ruling could affect thousands of drivers, The Guardian says.
- Inc. lists 12 digital tools that make the jobs of independent contractors easier.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.