The Weekly Independent: December 4, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Blockchain technology has the potential to eliminate misclassification and payment disputes between contractors and clients, but there are still many open questions, Lexology reports.
- Best practices for engaging and paying independent contractors.
- New research ranks U.S. cities with the most self-employed workers.
- An opinion piece from The Hill argues why Sen. John Thune’s NEW GIG Act should be included in future versions of the tax bill.
- How to give back on a budget as an independent contractor.
- A draft bill seeks to end the exploitation of gig workers in the UK.
- Bloomberg questions if blockchain could make freelancing the norm.
- Forbes takes a look at the seven best business books of 2017.
- How cryptocurrency may change the freelance marketplace, according to AllBusiness.
- The Wall Street Journal explores top apps for freelancers.
- Why reviewing independent contractor engagement policies should be a top priority for 2018.
- Five things to keep in mind as a new entrepreneur.