The Weekly Independent: January 23, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- President Trump has an important opportunity to leverage the independent workforce to foster economic growth, innovation, and bolster national security. MBO CEO Gene Zaino details how in The Hill.
- The uncertainty over the future of the Affordable Care Act leaves many—particularly freelancers and small business owners—concerned. The Chicago Tribune discusses this important issue. 28 percent of small business owners use the ACA.
- SpendMatters’ Andrew Karpie calls President Trump CPOTUS, short for Chief Procurement Officer of the United States.
- Andrew Puzder, incoming Secretary of Labor, will have his confirmation hearing on February 2.
- The Self-Employed Association’s new survey says independent professionals are hopeful about the Trump administration.
- Millions of self-employed workers will pay more in taxes, due to a hike in tax caps in 2017.
- Fidelity discusses how working for yourself can boost your retirement savings.
- UberBLACK drivers have permission to proceed with a class action suit in Philadelphia.
- New York State and Seattle are currently leading the discussion on portable benefits.
- Enterprises should take note of how increased use of online collaboration tools can pose a risk to their organizations. Fast Company details what to watch out for, and how to stay safe.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.