The Weekly Independent: May 30, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Last week, MBO Partners announced that we’ve accepted a significant minority growth investment from Primus Capital. Spend Matters covered the exciting news with a deeper look.
- Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) and Rep. Suzan DelBene (D-WA) introduced the Portable Benefits for Independent Workers Pilot Program Act—legislation that would encourage the development of portable benefits programs for independent workers.
- Avoid misclassification risk by ensuring independent contractors are the best match for your next project.
- MBO Partners was named to the Spend Matters 50 Providers to Watch list for the third year in a row.
- How to apply the framework behind New York’s Freelance Isn’t Free Act to your independent business.
- On its two-month anniversary, there are still lingering questions and confusion in the UK around IR35 reform.
- Fast Company looks at why some gig economy startups are choosing to hire employees over independent contractors.
- 10 content marketing tools and tips to create brand awareness, engage your target audience, and achieve business results.
- Deliveroo claims their delivery riders prefer the freedom and flexibility independent contractor classification provides over the benefits of full-time employment.
- An opinion on why the U.S. government isn’t on board with the idea of independent contractors.
- Entrepreneur lists 25 in-demand skills that people are willing to pay for.
- California port and rail truck drivers who were misclassified as independent contractors were awarded nearly $1 million in reimbursement for expenses and unlawful deductions.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.