Being a successful independent contractor or a Client of Choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
• Human cloud spend is at $126 billion in the U.S., according to a new report by Staffing Industry Analysts.
• California Gov. Gavin Newsom is set to sign the controversial Assembly Bill 5 (AB-5), which will curb businesses’ use of independent contractors, report the San Francisco Chronicle, Los Angeles Times, Forbes, and Competitive Enterprise Institute.
• Uber plans to keep defending its model of classifying drivers as independent contractors despite the expected passage of AB-5, says TechCrunch.
• Staffing Industry Analysts released a 2019 update on their comprehensive report on the gig economy and human cloud landscape.
• Forbes explores how Denmark is joining the freelance revolution.
• Self-employed professionals often struggle to save enough for retirement. CNBC explores why.
• New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo plans to steer workers away from independent contractor status, pursuing legislation similar to California’s AB-5 bill.
• The New York Times looks at workers over 50 who are freelancing to fill the gaps in their retirement funds.
• The Times explores why it is hard for thriving entrepreneurs to get a mortgage in the UK.
• Many medical professionals including surgeons are joining the freelance revolution, says Forbes.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!