Being a successful independent contractor or a Client of Choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
• How to build a budget for independent workforce management.
• Universities should be preparing students for the gig economy, says Harvard Business Review.
• The Hill lists key takeaways from Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s sweeping labor proposal, which includes a bill to stop worker misclassification.
• Potential legislation targeting independent contractor misclassification has flaws, reports Staffing Industry Analysts.
• The difference between 1099 and W-2 workers.
• Business Insider looks at Uber’s new app that matches gig economy workers with businesses.
• The NLRB is continuing its trend of employer-friendly decisions, says Lexology.
• The ABCs of independent contractor law AB 5 from The San Diego Union-Tribune.
• Yahoo! Finance discusses retirement plan options for the self-employed.
• How companies can benefit from hiring freelancers or contractors, according to Ladders.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!