The Weekly Independent: November 9, 2015
This week, learn when it’s time for an assistant, the potential use of Individual Security Accounts for the gig economy, when Uber drivers will get their day in court and more.
But before we get right down to business, don’t forget to register for our webinar next week, where Terri Gallagher, owner and CEO of Gallagher and Consultants, a leading workforce strategy solutions company, discusses how to best leverage independent consultants and win the talent war.
- Lawsuits and tax liability are just a couple of the things to look out for when you’re working on your own. Computerworld tackles ricks management for independent contractors.
- The gig economy has many benefits, but it also posts huge risks to traditional organizations, who must steer clear of legal and talent management issues, HR Executive Online finds.
- Individual Security Accounts—accounts that follow workers wherever they travel, regardless of client/employer, much like the multi-employer plans present in construction and mining— may be the next big thing in the Gig Economy.
- Is it time to hire an assistant? We’ve already discussed the value in partnering up, but Fast Company covers how to know if you can afford an extra set of hands, as well as how to most effectively use that new hire or independent contractor for admin work and more.
- Uber drivers will have their day in court – they’ll meet with a California judge in June of 2016 in a lawsuit that could determine whether or not drivers should be employees or contractors.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.