Being a successful independent contractor or a Client of Choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
• The National Labor Relations Board released a memo concluding that Uber drivers are independent contractors and not employees, reports NPR.
• Five reasons to outsource management of your independent workforce.
• Amazon announced a new program that will help employees start their own small package delivery businesses, but will need to take care to avoid worker classification issues, says HR Dive.
• How to write a job description for an independent professional.
• Yahoo Finance explores why gig economy employees are facing difficulties planning for retirement.
• Forbes gives 11 financial tips for freelancers.
• A coalition of California businesses owners and independent contractors urged legislators to amend the Dynamex court decision, the San Fernando Valley Business Journal reports.
• Small Business Trends explores how to attract customers to your small business.
• Steak ‘n Shake will pay more than $7.7 million in damages to misclassified managers, says HR Dive.
• Important questions to ask before spending your freelance paycheck, according to Forbes.
• CNBC shares insight from four self-employed female entrepreneurs on how they took maternity leave.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!