The Weekly Independent: October 3, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
Headed to HR Tech this week? Don’t miss the chance to demo the all new MBO’s marketplace 2.0 – visit us at booth 2802 for more details.
- The Spend Matters team reviews MBO’s marketplace, calling this iteration the “butterfly” to the previous version’s caterpillar.
- Want to wow your clients? Check out these 10 actionable strategies from our Customer Experience team.
- The National Labor Relations Board released an advice memorandum concluding that a group of drivers who worked for a drayage company were misclassified and that this constituted a violation of the NLRA. The misclassification ruling isn’t necessarily the big issue here, but rather that the memo indicates that the NLRB is cracking down significantly harder on misclassification and that the status of ICs will be much more stringently evaluated going forward.
- In case you’re still sure why misclassification is such a big deal, this new piece from Lexology explains why.
- The Guardian offers insight into how to build your freelance portfolio and make the leap to full time independence.
- Uber is under scrutiny for misclassification not just in the US, but the UK as well. Drivers recently protested and are awaiting the results of an Employment Tribunal after challenging their self-employed status.
- Gig employment is becoming the new normal, Consumer Affairs reports.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.