The Weekly Independent: March 12, 2018
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Harvard Business Review explores the role of skilled professional independent workers in the gig economy.
- Five tips for creating a professional profile for an independent consulting job marketplace.
- The Labor Department has updated their website, removing links that provided guidance on how to interpret employee-employee relationships, joint employment, and independent contractor misclassification, Bloomberg reports.
- The Supreme Court agreed to hear the appeal of a case involving a large trucking carrier and a long-haul driver over whether labor disputes brought by independent contractors can be forced into arbitration.
- As the independent workforce grows, so do court challenges, National Public Radio reports.
- Six best practices for drafting an independent contractor agreement.
- How to create a freelancer benefits package from U.S. News & World Report.
- The majority of jobs in the future will belong to freelancers, says one future of work expert.
- Here’s how blockchain could re-balance the freelancer-employer dynamic.
- Fast Company looks at why remote workers should take mini-retreats together.
- How to financially prepare to launch your own business, according to CNN Money.
- A suite of apps and courses from The Daily Beast to help get your small business up and running.