The Weekly Independent: April 3, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Bloomberg BNA explores the impact of immigration and employment verification on gig economy workers.
- Ready to pursue an independent consulting career, but need a bit of reassurance first? Here are 15 reasons to consider self-employment.
- Even if you’ve taken the right precautions, audits can happen. Follow these four essential steps if your company is audited for independent contractor misclassification.
- Making your own schedule, choosing your own clients, and deciding where and how to work sounds great, but can be intimidating. These tips from 10 professionals about how to be your own boss will point you in the right direction.
- Insurance for home-based businesses can provide essential liability, equipment, and legal protection. Here are three reasons to consider insuring your home business.
- Fast Company explores how one company is simplifying website development by using a virtual assembly line of freelancers to complete small, individual tasks that are part of a larger project.
- Alaska Gov. Bill Walker is sponsoring controversial legislation aimed at making it easier to classify independent workers. Some say the new definition is too narrow.
- Harvard Business Review discusses how to make employment fair in today’s expanding gig economy.
- Many people are considering a post-retirement career in independent consulting. If you haven’t stayed up to date with changes in technology, follow these 7 steps to give your digital career a boost.
- Startup company Envato—described as Uber for freelancers—is a marketplace that connects independent professionals with tasks and projects all over the world.
- Looking to build out your home office? Check out these top rated tech and apps.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.