The Weekly Independent: May 15, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Proposed legislation providing on-demand workers with portable benefits reflects similar efforts going on at a state level.
- Build positive, successful relationships with your independent professional workforce using these five tips.
- What do Hamilton, Jefferson, and President Trump’s health care bill have in common? Small Business Labs weighs in on the health care discussion and how changes may impact the self-employed.
- 10 pros and cons—along with solutions—of working from a home office.
- How to fix the cultural stigma around independent work.
- 7 ways to enhance the profitability of your freelance business.
- Why independent talent may be the best way to fill IT needs.
- FedEx will pay more than $227 million to settle long-running independent contractor misclassification lawsuits in 19 states.
- As an independent contractor, self-promotion can be tough when trying to land new clients. Here are 5 pieces of job interview advice from FastCompany.
- An article from Harvard Business Review looks at how to launch a successful “portfolio career”—an assortment of various part-time roles.
- If you knowingly misclassify an employee, it could be the basis for an IRS Whistleblower Complaint. Here’s a look at the letter of the law.
- Full-time jobs are now easier to get, USA Today reports.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.