The Weekly Independent: December 18, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- Fortune explores the benefits of consulting over retirement.
- More companies are using artificial intelligence to automate management tasks, The Wall Street Journal reports.
- MBO Partners is excited to welcome two new team members: Linda Mann as senior VP and Chris Mack as CFO.
- More than one-third of permanent positions are expected to transition to contingent roles in the future, according to a new survey by Randstad.
- Six personality traits of successful independent professionals.
- Tech.co explores the importance of Freelancer LLCs under the new tax bill and Chief Executive takes a look at how businesses can qualify for lower pass-through rates.
- Some of November’s strong jobs report can be attributed to the gig economy, Lexology reports.
- Doing some late holiday shopping? Check out our top 10 home office gifts.
- A new study from LinkedIn and Adecco Group found that independent professionals are choosing flexible work as a lifestyle.
- Mic explores how the gig economy is shaping higher education.
- Spend Matters takes a look at IC Precheck—a new compliance product that pre-certifies independent contractors.
- How the human cloud makes flexible work possible.
- Cornell University’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations is partnering with The Aspen Institute to develop a gig economy data hub.
- On-demand driving company Lyft is offering education discounts in an effort to attract drivers, NPR says.
- Spend Matters takes another look at Bunker, which it describes as a state-of-the-art business insurance provider for contractors.
- How the gig economy may disrupt the U.S. labor market.