Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- The holiday season is in full swing. Make sure you’re prepared with the perfect gifts for your clients, and don’t forget a little something for yourself!
- Grocery store delivery service Instacart is being sued by its workers. The lawsuit could include as many as 14,000 independent contractors who allege they should’ve been classified as employees. Here’s how to avoid worker misclassification.
- The Financial Times discusses the rewards and pressure of life as an independent consultant.
- Nearly all of the 10 million jobs created in the past 10 years were not traditional employment, according to research from Harvard and Princeton economists. More than 60 percent of this job growth was created due to the rise of independent contractors, freelancers, and contract company workers.
- Eight common mistakes business owners make and how to solve them, according to Fast Company.
- The UK is considering changes that would allow self-employed workers to automatically enroll into pensions, and let them pick their own state pension age. Five million self-employed workers—who have historically been excluded from pension system improvements—could benefit from this policy change.
- The difference between an entrepreneur and a freelancer.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you. Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!