The Weekly Independent: February 26, 2018
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- We released our Client of Choice report last week—the only survey of its kind examining how and why independent professionals pick the clients with whom they choose to engage. Here are four ways companies can attract top independent professionals.
- Gene Zaino, CEO of MBO Partners, discusses how tax reform will impact businesses that engage independent contractors in an op-ed for Forbes.
- These three technology trends will change the gig economy in 2018, JD Supra reports.
- A California federal judge ruled that a former GrubHub delivery driver was correctly classified as an independent contractor, Lexology reports.
- The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) is looking into whether or not independent contractor misclassification violates the National Labor Relations Act.
- Baby boomers constitute a large proportion of workers participating in the gig economy, says Workforce.
- How to choose the right business structure for your small business.
- The UK’s Supreme Court began hearing an employment status case which is expected to set a precedent for other gig economy disputes, The Guardian reports.
- Five ways to improve cash flow for your startup company, according to Fast Company.
- The Next Web explores how the gig economy will affect the future of work.