Being a successful independent contractor or a Client of Choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
• Uber settled thousands of individual arbitrations alleging independent contractor misclassification prior to its IPO, CNN reports.
• Five effective strategies to attract top independent professional talent.
• The United States Department of Labor (DOL) weighs in on whether gig economy workers are employees or independent contractors, Lexology details.
• The cost-effectiveness of independent contractors.
• The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals says California’s new independent contractor test applies retroactively, HR Dive reports.
• An opinion piece in The Guardian discusses how President Trump’s labor department is giving the gig economy carte blanche.
• Entrepreneur gives five tips for finding and managing the right freelancer
• The nature of work is changing, much of which is due to automation and the transition of full-time employees to independent contractors, according to Geek Wire.
• A new rule in Texas classifies gig economy workers as independent contractors, The National Law Review reports.
• Business2Community gives advice for adding self-employed income streams.
• Fast Company profiles an experience freelancer and their advice to clients.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.
Of course, we’d love to talk virtually as well. Share your thoughts with us at MBO Partners on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, and we’ll see you again next week!