The Weekly Independent: May 14, 2018
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- An upcoming report from the Labor Department may impact future gig economy legislation, Bloomberg BNA reports.
- This infographic summarizes common tasks and solutions to effectively run an independent business.
- MBO Partners was named to Spend Matters’ “50 Providers to Watch” list for 2018.
- Five reasons organizations should engage independent contractors.
- Accounting Today explores the benefits and caveats of the new tax law for the self-employed.
- The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed (IPSE) called for the UK government to extend tax-free training options to the self-employed.
- New Jersey’s governor authorized a 12-person task force to review misclassification of workers as independent contractors.
- Spend Matters explores the rise of freelance work and the broad range of solutions providers connecting organizations and independent workers.
- JD Supra summarizes the recent California Supreme Court worker classification decision and explores possible consequences.
- Forbes looks at how the emergence of the gig economy has shifted how we work.