The Weekly Independent: July 17, 2017
Staying on top of your field means staying ahead of the biggest news stories. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- A growing economy doesn’t mean equal benefits for all. This thought leadership, from MBO’s CEO Gene Zaino, takes a look at the “barbell effect”—a trend that is particularly apparent among the growing contingent workforce.
- Entrepreneur explores four reasons why businesses should consider leveraging independent contractor talent.
- How to differentiate your business, gain referrals, and create a strong brand presence through great customer experience.
- Five cities that are ideal for the self-employed.
- Are you ready to go independent? Keep these important considerations in mind.
- CIO looks at how companies are starting to work in different ways.
- Newly nominated National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) candidates are expected to undo Obama-era rulings, SHRM reports.
- This startup connects freelance doctors to work in healthcare systems.
- An NLRB ruling that junior high and high school lacrosse referees are employees and not independent contractors could affect unions organizing for referees across the country.
- The Huffington Post explores how to structure a successful freelance engagement.
- New additions to New York City’s Freelance Isn’t Free Act will go into effect at the end of the month.
- A North Carolina federal judge ruled in favor of an Uber driver who alleges to have been misclassified as an independent contractor.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.