The Weekly Independent: June 13, 2016
Being a successful independent contractor or a client of choice isn’t just about doing the best work or having the best perks. It also means staying one step ahead of the curve. That’s why each week we bring you The Weekly Independent, a quick-hit digest of news of note from around the web.
- MBO Partners released our sixth annual State of Independence in America this week. Check out the full data here, or review what our friends at Spend Matters, SIA, Politico, Small Business Labs, and Bloomberg View have to say on the subject.
- Attorney Eric Rumbaugh tells SIA that MBO’s Certified Self Employed solution adds “necessary certainty to worker classification.”
- Misclassification is a serious charge, and workers in every industry fight to be treated fairly. This even includes adult entertainment. A recent case dealing with exotic dancers in Maryland found that the workers should be classified as employees, not independent contractors.
- Are you a freelancer? An entrepreneur? Somewhere in-between? This quick read from Medium will help you decide.
- Every independent has had a heated or difficult conversation with a client at some point in their career. Here is new insight about how to stay calm when situations get intense.
- An interesting new infographic helps people understand the gig economy – and potentially how to structure their business.
Should you have any questions, we’re always here for you.